BioWidget meeting

Steven E. Brenner brenner@akamail.com
Mon, 5 May 1997 18:05:17 +0900 (JST)

> but I'd really suggest to say that Bioperl can win big from an interface
> to Biojava stuff, and vice-versa this may be true well.

Agreed!  The point should not be to bash Java, but rather to show that
Java and Perl each have different roles and that each should be used where
appropriate.

I like to think of it this way:  Perl is good for slurping and munging
data; Java is good for presenting it.

But, I'm no Java expert.  SteveC, who has recently been working on a great
Java viewer for proteins, probably has the most insight here.

> A prelimininary, biased, outdated, and ill-informed list of Java ``problems''...

The main thing I would add is that most of biological data management is
"munging the data into a reasonable format" -- most of my time coding is
probably spent not on the acutal algorithms, but on trying to collate the
data.  This is where Perl really excels.

Steve