Tcl-Java

Steve A. Chervitz sac@genome.stanford.edu
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

I see that Sun is pushing Tcl as a glue language for Java
and is in the process of developing a Tcl-Java interface:
http://www.cupojoe.com/

I'm thinking about how Perl would fit into this effort. For example,
would Perl interface with Java via a Perl-Tcl interface or would there
be a separate and potentially competing (and potentially redundant)
Perl-Java interface? Could the coupling of Tcl and Java lead to the
demise of Perl, as Java gains popularity? It would be hard to compete
against Perl for CGI scripting, but perhaps Tcl would provide a better
Java glue, given the work that Sun is doing.

Here is a blurb from the above cupojoe page:

"...Sun is dedicated to making Tcl the
 Internet's preeminent scripting language by
 providing access from Tcl to JavaBeans(tm)
 and Java(tm) applications. That means that
 Tcl will provide an easy method for rapidly
 developing new Java applications. Tcl will
 provide the "glue" to pull together one or more Java
 components, in much the same way that
 Visual Basic can be used to pull together
 Visual Basic Extension (VBX) components
 that are written in C or C++. Java will be
 used for building new primitives while Tcl/Tk
 will be used for hooking them together into
 applications..."

Other relevant links (currently accessible from the above page):

Tcl-Java   : http://www.sunlabs.com/~kcorey/tcljava/
Tcl/Tk Home: http://sunscript.sun.com/
Perl Versus: http://www.perl.com/perl/everything_to_know/versus/

Cheers,