[BioLib-dev] Plan to 1.0

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Sat Oct 24 14:55:20 UTC 2009

Moving forward with Biolib
==========================

To ascertain Biolib starts getting used on a wider scale some effort
is required. The main point now is that we have a usable
proof-of-concept, but it needs to be consolidated with documentation
and installable packages.  I propose to go through the following
(smallish steps):

. Test Perl mappings for Affyio and Staden on Linux, Windows and OSX
. Source 1.0 package on website
. Debian binary package for Perl
. OSX binary package for Perl
. Native windows download for Perl
. Create Perl tutorial for Affyio and Staden

At this point we have something that can be easily used, and we can
look at further integration with BioPerl. Thereafter I would like to
include libsequence and Bio++ functionality for Perl. That would
require the Bio++ mapping, as well as Tutorials for both.

I am deciding on Perl first to guarantee focus for the project (the
Ruby and Python stuff will come relatively easily after). I can use
help for OSX and Windows - testing on different flavours.

When this is done (biolib-perl-1.0) I hope people get interested in
additional functionality and languages.

Everyone OK with this?

Pj.