[Biojava-l] Access chain letter and residue number from Atom object

Jose Duarte jose.duarte at rcsb.org
Fri May 12 14:12:35 UTC 2017

All you need is to get the group (residue) and then the chain:

atom.getGroup().getChain().getChainID(); // gives you the author chain id
(biojava 4+)

In biojava 5 (currently in development, but some alpha versions have been
released) it would be slightly different:

atom.getGroup().getChain().getName(); // for the author chain id

atom.getGroup().getChain().getId(); // for the asym_id (internal chain
identifier in mmcif files)

For the residue number you can do:

atom.getGroup().getResidueNumber();

Hope that helps