[Biojava-l] New idea for alignment parsing and Re: Parser for MrBayes output

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 6 11:52:13 UTC 2014

Ben,

This sounds like a great idea and a really useful addition to biojava! I
would lean towards only parsing the consensus tree, as the other formats
are pretty specific use cases. We're sure forester doesn't provide Nexus
parsing, right? The documentation isn't particularly complete, but it's
already a phylo dependency so we should avoid duplicating any features.

As to your second suggestion, it sounds very similar to how FastaReader
currently works, with the user providing a SequenceCreator which
instantiates whatever Sequence implementation you want to use. Mutable
sequences can lead to a host of additional problems, which is why the
sequences are currently generated atomically. Or am I misunderstanding your
suggestion?

It would be fantastic to have some additional development of multiple
alignments and the phylo package! Thanks for the offer to contribute!

-Spencer