[Biojava-l] Google Summer of Code 2014

Matte Bailey matteabailey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 01:35:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

My name is Matte Bailey, and I'm a third year computer science student at
Western Washington University. I am also a biology minor, and am very
interested in bioinformatics and hope to someday have a career in the
field. For the past few months I have been searching for something I could
do over the summer related to bioinformatics, and I recently discovered the
Open Bioinformatics Foundation and your Google Summer of Code
opportunities. This is exactly what I have been looking for, and I would be
thrilled if I could be one of the students to work on a project this summer.

I've read through all of the instructions about the application process and
the current project ideas, and am now trying to figure out what kind of
project I would be best suited for. I have experience with quite a few
programming languages, but the BioJava projects seem to best fit my skills
and level of experience. As I do not at this point have any experience with
JSBML, I'm not exactly sure which of these projects I should be pursuing,
although they all see interesting to me. The "Implement support for the
SBML Multistate/Multicomponent Species package" project is probably the
most attractive to me at this point due to the fact that it relates to
biochemistry, which is an interest of mine. I am very open to working on
any project though!

Is there anything else I can do at this time to improve my chances of being
selected? The largest part of the application seems to be putting together
a comprehensive project plan, and I intend to begin working on that as soon
as I figure out which project I am pursuing.

Thanks for you help,
Matte