[Biojava-l] regex performance in Java

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:53:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Andreas Prlic <andreas at sdsc.edu> wrote:
> and used if nothing else works... Not sure if anybody else has a
> different experience?

I might be beating a dead horse here, but I agree. I would say that
from an idiomatic perspective Perl uses a lot of regex programming
(Ruby also?), which is less common in most other languages (Java and
Python are my work case). Regexes exist but are not the first option.
That being said, there is a very cool JVM language which has regexes
as first class objects: Clojure. But even in that case, I do not see
lots of idiomatic use of regexes.

Tiago