[Biojava-l] regex performance in Java

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Mon Oct 22 20:42:00 UTC 2012

Hi Hilmar,

I can't say much about performance of java regular expressions, but
isn't it hard to write efficient regular expressions in any language?
There are great tools in the Java world for parsing of XML/JSON and
other standard file types that help avoiding them. I am not sure if
this is a general rule for the wider Java community, but from my
perspective, the use of regular expressions in Java is only limited
and used if nothing else works... Not sure if anybody else has a
different experience?

Andreas