[Biojava-l] Interested in the "cloudization" of BioJava

Arthur Oviedo arthur.oviedo at epfl.ch
Fri Mar 30 16:35:54 UTC 2012

Hello,
My name is Arthur, and i'm a master student at EPFL (École Polytechnique
Fédérale de Lausanne) in computer science.
I worked in different project that are somewhat related to BioJava and
cloud environment.
I have worked , while i was research assistant, (briefly) in a project
called UnaCloud (
http://sistemas.uniandes.edu.co/~unacloud/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=recursos:documentacion)
which provides an opportunistic grid/cloud infrastructure for running
scientific experiments and we have used it to help bio-informaticians with
their different jobs like huge BLAST queryes, HMMER jobs, etc.
As part of my assistant work in the same university, I developed a cool
system called UnaCloud MSA which integrates some existing and mew developed
tools to analyze Multiple Sequence Alignments. It even uses the BioJava
library to perform some verification about the sequences. All of this is
also done employing the UnaCloud infrastructure. This work is still in
development and in preparation for publication.
http://unacloudmsa.uniandes.edu.co
Currently, i'm working on a class project on Hadoop (An implementation of
subset of the functionalities of a Database Manager System) using Hadoop
(Map-reduce) framework.
All of the mentioned projects have been implemented in Java, so i suppose
that i meet the java expertise requirement.
I would like to know more about this project and to know also the rough
dates where the Google Summer of Code would be held (To prepare my
schedule).
Thanks and best regards,
Arthur Oviedo