[Biojava-l] GSoC 2012- Port an Algorithm to Java

Steve Darnell darnells at dnastar.com
Mon Mar 19 16:18:02 UTC 2012

Hi Andreas,

We spoke offline about the HMMER/GPL issue this weekend. I think it is premature to remove the HMMER option from the GSoC wiki page. I would like to clarify the Sean Eddy blog post linked to by Spencer (_**_ emphasis mine):

>From the LICENSE section:

The only thing the GPLv3 really blocks is someone forking a derivative copy of HMMER and distributing it under a different license, such as a closed-source proprietary license; to do that, _*you'd need to negotiate a non-GPL license with us first*_.

>From the COPYRIGHT section:

_*We really don't expect to negotiate any non-GPL licenses, though*_. We want to enable many different people _*to contribute to a single open source HMMER codebase*_, as a shared codebase for bioinformatics and computational biology.

>From the TRADEMARK section:

_*Did I mention, we want to enable a single open source HMMER codebase?*_

Sean Eddy and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute are the main copyright holders. The main goal is clear... maintain a single open source HMMER codebase. The choice of license for HMMER (GPL v3) was to persuade people to contribute back. However, OBF might be able to negotiate other arrangements (perhaps a non-GPL library that can only be distributed with BioJava and any contributions made by the GSoC student must be licensed back to HHMI under GPL?). I do not know how hopeful to be about that possibility, but it cannot hurt to ask.

I would like to dissuade GSoC students from directly contacting Sean Eddy or HHMI about this possibility. This task is most appropriate for a senior BioJava representative and it is up to the "Port an Algorithm to Java" mentors on how to proceed.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Steve

--