[Biojava-l] BioJava in education

Chris Friedline cfriedline at vcu.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:50:52 UTC 2011

Andreas,

I had to come to it on my own.  Seems the focus at this university is on Perl only and there's a serious (IMO) disconnect with our CS department.  Java (or some other OO language) is only a minor requirement for bioinformatics undergrads/graduate students.  However, I'd love to see this change and/or be involved in the development of a course to do just that.  We've been kicking around developing some intersession modules around dealing with genetic data sets using Java/BioJava, but doing actual research continues to stand in our way.

On a side note, have you seen the Java Evolutionary Biology Library?  Would be excellent to combine forces of these development efforts since JEBL is well-vetted (e.g., FigTree, BEAST, Geneious), though that's purely from a selfish user perspective.  ;-)

Chris