[Biojava-l] GSoC Intent - Amino Acids Physico-Chemical Properties Calculation

Xaroth x4roth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:34:13 UTC 2011

Hello everyone and project mentor Peter Troshin,

My name is Justin Pugh. I am a 3rd year Computer Science student at the
University of Central Florida. I am proficient in C and Java and I prefer to
do all of my coding work in Java. I've recently learned about the Google
Summer of Code program and I've been spending the past week or so looking
over the available open-source projects. I am excited about participating in
the GSoC because I have been anxious to be a part of a larger project than
the small-scope programs that I have to write for classes. Sadly, I do not
have any experience doing any programming projects on this scale but I am
very interested in learning. The largest project I have completed was to
write a compiler and virtual machine for PL/0. I'm currently working on
writing a game from scratch as a vehicle for implementing some AI techniques
and I am learning a lot about making use of others' code provided in
libraries and integrating it into my own through the use of jMonkeyEngine
(an open source java-based 3d game engine). I want to take my skills to the
next level with GSoC.

Out of all the projects I have looked at, BioJava has stood out the most for
me (in particular, the Amino Acids Physico-Chemical Properties Calculation
idea). I wanted to work on something written entirely in Java so I wouldnt
have to spend any time learning a new language and I would be able to focus
more on the actual project. I feel like I am able to wrap my head around the
Amino Acids Physico-Chemical Properties Calculation proposal and I think it
falls within my ability to get it done and even more - to have fun with it
and be able to spend time refining it. I do not know anything about the
calculations which must be implemented, but I am of course willing to learn
them. I have only had small instruction in the area of multi-threaded Java
programming but I hope this will not be a severe handicap for me.

I plan on spending the next couple days doing some research and developing
my proposal. I just wanted to announce my intent to submit an application
and to introduce myself to the group. Please let me know your opinions
regarding my ability to complete this project - I am open to criticism and
pointers! :)

Thank you for your time,
-Justin Pugh