[Biojava-l] Fwd: Google Summer of Coding: Java project

Peter Troshin p.v.troshin at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 14:33:38 UTC 2011

Hi Omer,

I am on the BioJava list so I got your email.

> >> I am in the second year of my degree, and so far i have learned
> >> the program languages: Java, C, C++ and in addition Object
> >> Oriented Programming in Java.

Sounds good!

> >> Though, i have no working experience in programming.

Thank you for being honest (:-))

> >> My only concern is, will My lack of experience could hurt my
> >> chances to be accepted to the project.

It may but it may not. Some people pick up things pretty quickly - are
you one of them?
Seriously, have a look at the methods that you are about to implement,
search the web
for more information about them and see if you have a good idea how to
do that. You do not have to know anything about the BioJava at this
stage, you can learn about it later.  For this
project you also need to know the basics of Chemistry and Molecular
Biology, nothing too
complicated, but still without this knowledge the learning curve for
this project is going to be pretty steep.

I hope I answered your question.

Regards,
Peter