[Biojava-l] what is a namespace?

Bernd Jagla bernd.jagla at pasteur.fr
Tue Sep 21 12:39:09 UTC 2010

  Hi,

sorry for the basic question, but I would like to clarify the following:

When you are talking about namespace in your documentation (e.g.
biojavaXDocs)  it means that I tag the information that is associated
with that namespace in order to differentiate it from something else. Is
this a fair description?

I can generate a name space using the following code:
Namespace ns =
(Namespace)RichObjectFactory.getObject(SimpleNamespace.class,new
Object[]{"myNamespace"});

Why is the second parameter an array of objects?
When would I use something other than a SimpleNamespace class?
Could you point me to some examples of their use?

In my code I can have many instances of a given class. Do I need to use
different namespaces each time to avoid conflicts? E.g. I have class
that reads in sequence and annotation data. Do I have use different
namespaces for each instance?

Thanks,

Bernd

PS. please let me know if these questions are too basic to ask!!!!
Otherwise I will probably have some more ;)