[Biojava-l] accepted GSoC projects

Mark Chapman chapman at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 28 04:18:25 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Thank you to Google, Open Bioinformatics Foundation, BioJava, and my mentors for
this opportunity.  As a short introduction, I am Mark Chapman, a graduate
student in Computer Sciences at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.  My focus
is in artificial intelligence and bioinformatics.  This summer, I will add a
Multiple Sequence Alignment module to BioJava.

My first task will be to update the alignment module to BioJava3 and to design
the interface for MSA.  My second goal is to implement a progressive MSA styled
after clustalw.  After that, I will add alternative routines for each step.

Any ideas for the MSA project as well as more sources of programming wisdom are
quite welcome.  For example, Andreas suggested a series about Java parallelism
and lazy execution
(http://apocalisp.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/parallel-strategies-and-the-callable-monad/).
  I also noted a useful tip for iterative development
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/Workflow).

Thanks again,
Mark