[Biojava-l] Algorithm to compare protein sequences

Thasso Griebel thasso.griebel at uni-jena.de
Sat Nov 21 11:25:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

if I get this one right you want to do three things.

1. create a multiple sequence alignment.

2. create a pairwise distance matrix from the alignment.

3. use a distance based tree construction method (Agglomerative clustering (UPGME, WPGMA..) or Neighbor Joining) to create a tree. The tree can be printed as newick string.

I don't know if all of this is possible with biojava. If not, I could at least provide code to create the pairwise distance matrix (including JC and Kimura corrections) and for the clustering algorithms. But I thought NJ and AgglomerativeClustering are already implemented, though I couldn't find the classes in the 1.7 API ?

If you don't need to do the computations programmatically, you can also try

http://bio.informatik.uni-jena.de/epos/

though with the currently released version you have to do the alignment externally. The next release will also provide a way to do multiple sequence alignments directly.

Another alternative is

http://gi.cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de/qalign

QAlign can be used to create the alignment (using clustalw, tcoffee or dialign) and create NJ or Agglomerative tree in one step. Nice thing is that you can manipulate the alignment (i.e. insert gaps) and the tree updated continuously

cheers,

thasso