[Biojava-l] Algorithm to compare protein sequences

Andreas Dräger andreas.draeger at uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Nov 21 08:35:19 UTC 2009

Hi Mara,

At the moment there are two alignment algorithms available:
Smith-Waterman for local and Needleman-Wunsh for global alignment. In
addition to that there is a package for hidden Markov models that is
also able to perform sequence alignments (see the BioJava cookbook for
examples). However, currently both approaches will write the alignment
similar to the BLAST output and not in this Newick format (I am actually
not familiar with that). I hope that helps.

Cheers
Andreas

--
Dipl.-Bioinform. Andreas Dräger