[Biojava-l] Job vacancies

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Wed Dec 9 12:07:16 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Apologies for posting job ads to the lists but I think this one is relevant to the members so please forgive me.

If you know of anyone that might be interested, could you forward them this job ad? Also if you have any local resources for posting job ads, it would be great if you could put the ad up there as well.

Sorry to intrude - I'll leave you in peace again now. :)

thanks!
Richard

1. Senior Bioinformatics Software Developer (Perl/Ensembl)
2. Senior Bioinformatics Software Developer (Java/Taverna)

Eagle Genomics Ltd., Cambridge, UK
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/

We are a young and exciting bioinformatics company looking to revolutionise the way in which
industry and academia work together. We are based at the heart of Europe's largest biotech cluster in
Cambridge, UK. As we expand our client base, we're looking to build a talented and committed
team of experts. We are currently looking for TWO top-class developers to work on a wide range of
complex projects. Both these roles involve a large element of customer support and so you'll need to
be friendly, communicative, and happy to work face-to-face with our customers on a daily basis.
You will have had substantial prior experience working in a life science company or research
institute.

For the Perl/Ensembl role, you will have had extensive experience as a Perl developer and ideally
you will have written code or plugins for the Ensembl Genome Browser or used its APIs in your
own progams.

For the Java/Taverna role you will be an expert Java developer with the ability to rapidly analyse
and understand complex systems. Ideally you will have written code or plugins for the Taverna
project or written code that makes use of it.

For both roles, in addition to your superb technical and customer service skills, you will also:
● be able to communicate clearly and proactively,
● have the ability to quickly translate scientific problems into real software solutions,
● be able to put technical concepts into simple language for end users to understand,
● be able to pick up new skills and techniques in record time,
● work well in a collaborative team environment,
● be creative, innovative, and forward-thinking.

You will also have had hands-on experience in at least two of the following:
● SQL query design,
● Open-source bioinformatics toolkits such as BioPerl, BioJava, BioSQL, etc.,
● Amazon EC2,
● Workflow/pipeline design,
● System and user documentation,
● Developing user training courses.

The successful candidate would be expected to work from our offices near Cambridge, however
remote working in the UK/Europe may be considered for exceptional candidates (depending on
exact location). We offer a competitive salary and a range of company benefits.

To apply, please send your CV and cover letter as PDF documents to jobs @eaglegenomics.com . We
are only able to offer positions to EEA citizens and permanent residents, or existing holders of UK
Tier 1 migrant visas.

No agencies please. Closing date: 8th JANUARY 2010.

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd
T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/