[Biojava-l] plans for next months

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Sun Aug 16 21:41:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

Here a quick summary of what I propose to be our action plan for the
next months for BioJava:

* I would like to call for a code-freeze in 2 weeks (or so) in order
to finalize  the new modularized and mavenized version of biojava for
the developers. The current developmental trunk will remain
permanently frozen and all future work should continue at a new
location in SVN. As such it will be important that all  developers
commit any changes they are working on before that.

* We will update the documentation for how to obtain a new mavenized
checkout on the wiki.

* After the change the new modules need to be tested and if no major
problems are found, the ok will be given to continue working on the
new modules (at the new location)

* All developers should obtain a new checkout.

* We need to identify sub-module leaders who will take over leadership
of the sub-modules.

In order to come up with a new release of biojava we should continue
development on the new modules for a few months. Talking off list with
Richard Holland it looks like we will have a hackaton in January in
Cambridge, U.K. (details to be finalized and announced). I suggest
that we use that opportunity to focus on further developing the
modules and make a new public BioJava release shortly after that.

At the present I see the following topics that would be great to work
on until and during the hackaton in order to prepare a shiny new
version of BioJava for public release:

+ Work on standardizing the organization of the modules (tests,
examples, source, docu etc.)
+ Add new modules
+ Improve existing modules
+ Anything the module leaders deem necessary for their modules.
+ Use OSGI for visualisation related modules

I can post a more detailed and specific list of things to work on if
people are interested.

Andreas