[Biojava-l] performance problems with BJX

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Tue Nov 4 11:58:18 UTC 2008

BioJava stores sequences as a list of symbol objects. Each object is a
singleton, and so the sequence is essentially a list of pointers.

I guess you're running on a 64-bit machine. One pointer on a 64-bit
machine is 64 bits = 8 bytes.

Your genbank file for human chromosome 1 is probably going to have
about 250,000,000 bases or so. Each of those bases, as a string, takes
1 or 2 bytes (8- or 16-bits) depending on encoding. So a string, or
file, encoded using 8 bits, you're going to get 1 byte per base =
approx. 250MB, plus feature and annotation data. That sounds about
right given that your file is 300MB.

As a list of pointers to singletons on a 64-bit machine, you're going
to end up using 8 bytes per base instead of 1 byte. 8 * 250MB = 2Gig.

This explains the first 2 gigabytes. Where the other 13 are coming
from I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're the
features.

cheers,
Richard

PS. The new BJ3 will only convert sequences from String to Symbols
when explicitly requested to do so - this will help save memory (and
time) when doing simple operations such as copying files into
databases without any intermediate processing.