[Biojava-l] Gene direction

Martin Jones martin.jones at ed.ac.uk
Wed May 7 10:36:53 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've recently faced the same problem. Try this:

RichSequenceIterator seqs = RichSequence.IOTools.readGenbankDNA(in, null);
RichSequence mySeq = seqs.nextRichSequence();
for (Object o : mySeq.getFeatureSet()) {
                RichFeature f = (RichFeature) o;
                RichLocation l = (RichLocation) f.getLocation();
                System.out.println("strand is " + l.getStrand().getName());
}

I think that getStrand().getName() will return either "+" or "-".  If
you're looking at a genbank record for a single gene, you'll probably
have a single "gene" feature and a single "CDS" feature.

Martin