[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] BioJava 3 work begins

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 01:40:49 UTC 2008

Can I follow this up by saying that all use cases _must_ be
accompanied by a why.  It is very important to understand what the
rationale for the use case is as this will determine how we program
it.

For example. "A binding to BioSQL" is not a use case.  The use case
would be: "I want to upload a subset of Genbank to a relational
database so that I can add my own de-novo gene predictions and then
search the results in a relational manner".

We would then analyse this use case and figure out a good way to do
it. During this analysis we would probably identify that we need a
binding from BJ3 to BioSQL. As a general rule you should never specify
the technology in the use case. Rather analysis of the requirements of
the usecase suggests the best technology.

I will put up a template for what should be in a use case tonight
(Singapore time) that people can use.  It would also be great if
people who suggest cases can provide contact details as frequently
there has to be lots of iterative discussion to pin down the details.

- Mark