[Biojava-l] Editing a RichSequence

Richard Holland holland at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 15:16:40 UTC 2008

I think it's because sequences are constructed internally in a
ChunkedSymbolListFactory which compresses large sequences whereas small
sequences are stored as normal uncompressed ones. Compressed sequences
extend AbstractSymbolList, which is immutable (and therefore uneditable)
whereas uncompressed ones do not, and hence are editable.

You can disable the use of compressed sequences by using readGenbank()
instead of readGenbankDNA() and passing in the DNA alphabet and the
non-compressed sequence factory (see the static constants in
RichSequenceBuilderFactory).

If this still doesn't work, please could you post the full stacktrace so
that we can see which class is throwing the exception and at what line
etc.

cheers,
Richard