[Biojava-l] ChromatogramFactory fails on Windows and Mac

hkaya hkaya at iontek.com.tr
Tue Sep 25 14:32:19 UTC 2007

You are right. When I do the following replacements
"his" -> "HIS" and
"ile" -> "ILE"
in the  org/biojava/bio/seq/TranslationTables.xml
my code and a TraceViewer demo in biojava package perfectly worked on
Windows and Linux. I think the problem is related with lower/upper case
conversions. In turkish uppercase of 'i' is not 'I' but 'I' with a dot.
Also lower case of 'I' is not 'i' but lower case dotless i (ı).
Current locale settings affects the behaivour of toLower(), toUpper().

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#toUpperCase(java.util.Locale)

I made the code run by modifying XML file in biojava.jar
but i know it is not a nice solution.

Thank you
Huseyin Kaya

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:59:20 +0100, Richard Holland wrote

> Could this be an encoding problem with the XML file in the JAR? i.e.
> Linux and Windows generally use different text encodings and so may
> misinterpret some of the characters in the XML file, generating the
> errors you see. I suppose this could be an issue if the Windows
> environment is running internationalisation under a non-Western-European
> character set, whereas the Linux box is running with an English
> character set.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have access to a Windows machine to test this
> on.
>
> Do any other BJ developers out there have access to a Windows machine
> that they can investigate this with?
>
> cheers,
> Richard
>
> hkaya wrote:
> > On windows machine, I downloaded
> > http://www.biojava.org/download/bj15/bin/BioJava1.5-bin.tar.gz with Internet
> > Explorer and extract jar files. I also tried downloading the same file on
> > linux and
> > copy the jar files to windows with samba. On both case the same error occurs.
> > After your message I delete and downloaded the same file again, but
> > the situation is same.
> >
> > Huseyin
> >
> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:19:09 +0800, Mark Schreiber wrote
> >> The stack trace indicates that the resources in you biojava.jar file
> >> are missing or corrupt. Where did you get it from?
> >>
> >> If you copy the jar from you linux machine to windows do you still
> >> get the same error?
> >>
> >> - Mark

> > ChromatogramFactory.create(new File("test.scf"));

org.biojava.bio.program.scf.SCF$V3Parser.parseSamples(SCF.java:560)

org.biojava.bio.chromatogram.ChromatogramFactory.create(ChromatogramFactory.java:75)
> > `PROTEIN-TERM'

org.biojava.bio.seq.io.NameTokenization.parseToken(NameTokenization.java:110)