[Biojava-l] error: Program ncbi-blastn Version 2.2.17 is not supported

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 15:16:12 UTC 2007

I was always under the impression that blast's XML output was nearly as
hard to parse as the flat file format but I do agree that if we can use
XML whenever we can it would make writing parsers a lot easier
(especially if there are SAX based XPath libraries available). Actually
this brings up a good question about development of this type of parser.
The majority of XPath supporting libraries are DOM based which will mean
large memory usage in some situations but overall providing an easier
coding experience (and hopefully reduce our chances of creating bugs).
Or should we code to the edge cases of someone trying to parse a 1GB
XML? Personally I'd favour the former.

Going back to the original topic there are going to be situations where
people want the flat file parsers/writers & I think it's a valid point
to say this is where BioJava is meant to come in & help a developer.
Afterall XML is a computer science problem where as parsing an EMBL flat
file or blast output is a bioinformatics problem.

Andy