[Biojava-l] Question on FlexibleAlignment

Russ Kepler russ at kepler-eng.com
Wed Apr 11 19:22:33 UTC 2007

I've re-encountered something that has always puzzled me - I'm building a
FlexibleAlignment with a bunch of SimpleAlignmentElements composed of
SimpleGappedSequences.  The SimpleAlignmentElement wants a RangeLocation, but
insists that the max()-min()+1 be sequence.length().  But the
sequence.length() includes any gap placed at the start of the sequence, so
necessarily you include any offseting gap to make the alignment.  This means
that FlexibleAlignment.getLabelsAt(1) will always return the list of all the
SimpleAlignmentElements.  It seems that either the getLabelsAt() should
exclude the elements that don't have sequence at the position (yet) or the
SimpleAlignmentElement shouldn't be using the length of the sequence in
testing the RangeLocation.

Any comments?  I hope this makes sense to someone...