[Biojava-l] external processes

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Wed May 17 09:38:34 UTC 2006

Sounds reasonable,

Do you have CVS access? If so please submit this addition. Can you also
put javadoc comments giving the example of why you might need to use a
string[] as a parameter.

Can you also add a @since 1.5 javadoc tag to the method and add yourself
as an author to the class (javadoc doesn't allow for @author comments at
the method level).

Thanks,

- Mark

Andreas Dräger <andreas.draeger at uni-tuebingen.de>
05/17/2006 05:27 PM

        To:     mark.schreiber at novartis.com
        cc:     biojava-l at biojava.org
        Subject:        Re: [Biojava-l] external processes

Hello,

I just tried the ExecRunner class with a compliation of a Matlab skript.
My parameters are Matlab matrices and vectors like
[1 2 3; 4 5 6]
and so on. In the ExecRunner class this 2x3 matrix will be destroyed by
the StringTokenizer and my Matlab skript will be started with the
arguments
[1, 2, 3;, 4, 5, 6]
which doesn't make any sense. I would like to suggest to add a method
where one can pass the aruments as a String[]-vector. In my case I could
pass every single Matlab matrix and every Matlab vector as a single
String. I just tried this out with the following code:

  public static String execute(String command[]) throws IOException {
    String out = null, temp;
    Process exe = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
    BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(
      new InputStreamReader(exe.getInputStream()));
    for (out = ""; (temp = in.readLine()) != null; out += temp + "\n");
    return out;
  }

It works fine. I would add something similar to the class ExecRunner
mentioned above, but adapted so that the other features of this class
will also be maintained.

Andreas Dräger