[Biojava-l] Help needed for a GUI

Russ Kepler russ at kepler-eng.com
Mon Jul 24 21:38:20 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 03:16 pm, Dr. Christoph Gille wrote:
> >I am new to BioJava and am exploring its features. I am planning to build
> > a simple editor for alignments(something like a wordpad, but to handle
> > alignments).Does Biojava support this? Could someone please show me some
> > pointers for this?
>
> Using the classes /interfaces
> - MultiLineRenderer
> - FeatureRenderer
> - SequenceRenderer
> - SequencePanel
> - FeatureBlockSequenceRenderer
> one can easily display a gapped sequence with annotations.
> Perhaps one could place several SequencePanels over each other and put
> everything in one scroll-panel?

Better to put the alignment into a TranslatedSequencePanel, and populate the
panel with AlignmentRenderers, one per aligned sequence.  The
AlignmentRenderer accepts a label that it uses to extract the "current"
sequence from the alignment that the TranslatedSequencePanel has.  Below the
AlignmentRenderer are the MultiLineRenderers, etc.