[Biojava-l] Looking for a RandomAccessFile-like class for sequences

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Fri Feb 10 01:48:03 EST 2006

Hello Todd,

This sounds a bit like what the biojava BioIndex code does. You make be
able to use that.

- Mark

Todd Riley <toddri at eden.rutgers.edu>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
02/10/2006 12:02 PM

        To:     biojava-l at biojava.org
        cc:     (bcc: Mark Schreiber/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        [Biojava-l] Looking for a RandomAccessFile-like class for sequences

Hello,

I am looking for a RandomAccessFile-like class that can read small,
arbitrary chunks of a very large (like 250K of human DNA) fasta file.
(UCSC chromosomal fasta files contain just 1 sequence for the whole
chromosome).  I was hoping that someone may have already written a class
that will take in an alphabet and a range (maybe in the form of a
RangeLocation object) and will return the sequence in that range from
the file.  I would hate to spend time re-inventing a wheel that may
already exist.

Thanks,
Todd