[Biojava-l] Apache License vs. (L)GPL

Ross Gibb ragibb at ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 23 11:35:16 EDT 2005

Now you're into the murky realm of software licensing.  The best advice
is to ask a  lawyer who understands this stuff.  I am NOT a lawyer, so
if you listen to what I say you do so at your own risk.  I guess the
first question is what do you want to do with the code?  If you are
writing an in house application, or something you are not going to
distribute, you can do what you want with the code.  The GNU license in
particular gives you freedom as in free speech.  Meaning, you can do
whatever you want with it as long as you don't distribute it.  As soon
as you distribute it then there are certain conditions under the GPL
that you have to adhere to.

Now for the case where you want to distribute it.  This is my opinion,
do with it what you like.  Of the GPL, LGPL and the Apache license, the
GPL is the most restrictive so that's the one you are going to be
restricted by.  Obviously anything you distribute is going to have to be
open source.  I am going to assume that you are just using the software
that you mentioned and have not changed any of it.  In a text file I
would state what pieces are covered under what license.  For example,
list the jar files and what license they are covered by and include the
text of the license(s).  Now the tricky part, what kind of license does
your project get as a whole?  I would say the GPL.  The Apache license
is very flexible, much more so than the GPL, and the Apache site
believes they are compatible with the GPL, so I think it is safe to
place the project as a whole under the GPL.  You are not changing the
Apache license because someone could look at your documentation see what
piece of Apache you used and go and download it independently from Apache.

The real answer is that none of these licenses have been throughly
tested in court (precedence) and it really depends on what you want to
do with it.  Therefore, any advice you get is going to be at some level
speculation.  Your best bet is to follow what other reputable software
is doing.

Ross