[Biojava-l] Disabling SequencePanel updates

Joel Peter William Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 21:46:27 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to develop a GUI based sequence analysis tool.

I have a SequencePanel displaying features that are found by a seperate
thread. Within this thread are calls to Sequence.createFeature when an
appropriate match is found - my problem is that SequencePanel listens for
all changes to a sequence and there is no way (that I know of) to disable
this.

The reason this is annoying is because I would like allow a user to still
view the sequence while waiting for the search to complete. I can push
events to the Swing EventQueue that add features, but this drastically slows
down the search due to the number of matches found - I would rather just
fire a ChangeEvent once the search has completed.

I thought I could override the setSequence method in a subclass of
SequencePanel and not assign changeListeners, but then the other methods of
SequencePanel won't have access to the sequence.

Alternatively I could make a copy of the sequence for viewing and one for
searching on.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Joel