[Biojava-l] Java 1.5 (final chance to object)

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Thu Oct 6 21:53:12 EDT 2005

OK, there seems to have been a few reasonable objections. The consensus
seems to be we will wait until the end of the year. I think from then on
we will change over for biojava-live.

There was a suggestion of maintaining two branches, one would be a
maintenance of biojava1.4 and only use JDK1.4.2, the other would be
biojava-live and use JDK1.5. I have done this in the past and have no
desire to do it again, it's really not that much fun. I would however like
to reserve the option of putting JDK1.5 dependent code into the classes of
the org.biojavax package. If this happens I will adjust the ANT build
script such that these are not compiled if JDK1.5 is not detected. This
should be safe as the biojava packages have no dependencies on the
biojavax packages. Bug fixes to biojava would still be in the system.
Additionally the org.biojavax packages are undergoing a lot of development
right now so you shouldn't be doing any production programming with them
anyway.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com