[Biojava-l] Re: [BioSQL-l] release preparation

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Mon Apr 18 17:50:54 EDT 2005

Mark Schreiber wrote:
> store sequence. The biojava support code seems to assume LONGs and
> strangely until very recently  the JDBC oracle dirver seems to let you
> write LONGs to CLOBs although the data that comes out again is completely
> munged.
>
> It would be possible to modify the biojava adapters to check for LONG or
> CLOB and behaive appropriately but this would cause lots of maintenance
> problems later.

OK, I see.  That sequence insertion code isn't in the
database-specific helper classes, but sounds like it'll have to move
there (since some of the databases won't support CLOBs).  You could
have the abstract helper look at the tables to see which version to
use, and that way you'd have backward compatibility with the existing
databases too.

Cheers,
Len.