[Biojava-l] Re: [BioSQL-l] release preparation

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Mon Apr 18 05:08:23 EDT 2005

We tracked down the error to the fact that the Hilmar Oracle version (no
assertion is made about the complexity) uses CLOBs to store sequence while
the Len Oracle (no assertion about simplicity etc) version uses LONGs to
store sequence. The biojava support code seems to assume LONGs and
strangely until very recently  the JDBC oracle dirver seems to let you
write LONGs to CLOBs although the data that comes out again is completely
munged.

It would be possible to modify the biojava adapters to check for LONG or
CLOB and behaive appropriately but this would cause lots of maintenance
problems later.

Given this situtation, unless some one complains very loudly, the biojava
oracle adapters will be changed to assume CLOBs. Note: This means if you
are using biojava and oracle and biosql now then it will break unless you
adopts Hilmar's version. It will not cause any changes to biojava users of
MySQL etc.

- Mark

Len Trigg <len at reeltwo.com>
04/18/2005 04:58 PM