[Biojava-l] Getting Started

Joe Davison halting at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 16:40:48 EDT 2004

I'm trying to get started with BioJava.   I've been looking at  BioJava
in Anger and it seems like a great resource.

However, the "How do I get and install BioJava" section leaves a little
to be desired.  I'd already found the page it links to, and perhaps
it's what needs updating.  The problem is particularly acute for those
not around other users where one can ask a question. There's no real
"here's what you need first" info there comparable to the "You will
also need" section.

The link to the Download area leads to confusion, in that there are 6
or 7 directories full of multiple versions of probably wonderful
things, but somehow I doubt I really need to download the whole mess to
get started.

Perhaps somewhere there could be a short Readme.txt  that says "If
you're just getting started, start with these files: ....  Then check
out the tutorials." or some such.

Thanks.

joe davison