[Biojava-l] Biojava goes 3D

Andreas Prlic ap3 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed May 5 05:04:46 EDT 2004

Hi everybody!

I am working at the Sanger Centre to extend the DAS protocol toward
protein structures. Biojava so far did not contain many tools for
protein structure bioinformatics, so I am trying to commit a few things...

Biojava now contains a PDB file parser and a few classes to represent
three dimensional biological objects like protein structures, or DNA
structures.

See: org.biojava.bio.structure

This is some example code:

Q: How can I parse a PDB file ?

import org.biojava.bio.structure.*;
import org.biojava.bio.structure.io.*;

public class simplePDB {
      public static void main(String args[]){
    String filename = "path/to/pdbfile.ent" ;
    PDBFileReader pdbreader = new PDBFileReader();

    try{
        Structure struc = pdbreader.getStructure(filename);
        System.out.println(struc);
    } catch (Exception e){
        e.printStackTrace();
    }

   }
}

Regards,
Andreas

Andreas Prlic      Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
                   Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK