[Biojava-l] how to calculate consensus from a fasta file

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Tue Jan 13 20:01:53 EST 2004

Hi Eric -

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem but you could make an
Alignment object from the sequences and then use the methods of
DistributionTools to get a Distribution object for each position in the
Alignment. These distributions will tell you the frequency of each base at
each position in the Alignment which you could use to make a consensus.
You can also use DistributionTools to calculate information or entropy at
each position.

Alternatively you could generate a markov model that represents the
alignment and probabilistically represents the consensus.

Hope this helps

Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
1 Science Park Road
#04-14 The Capricorn
Singapore 117528

phone +65 6722 2973