[Biojava-l] http proxy

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 05:04:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:45:06PM +0800, wux at mail.cbi.pku.edu.cn wrote:
> Dear all:
>
>    There is a problem in biojava when using biofetch behind a firewall. There is no way
> to get the httpURLconnection object and set the http proxy. I think there are two solutions:
> 1. Modify biofetch of the OBDA proctocol, add proxyHost, proxyPort, Login, password
>    to the tag-value pairs.
> 2. Hard code to the BioFetchSequenceDBProvider and BioFetchSequenceDB with http proxy
>    and let user set it.

One other option: in Java, it's possible to set up proxies on
a per-application basis by setting some system properties, e.g.:

    java -Dhttp.proxyHost=gate.derkholm.net -Dhttp.proxyPort=8088 MyApp

Or put these in a system properties file.

Other than that...  yes, adding explicit proxy support to OBDA
sounds like it might be a good idea.  But if so, I think it should
be done as part of the OBDA spec (option 1) rather than a unilateral
BioJava feature.