[Biojava-l] Serialization of SimpleSequences

Vasa Curcin vc100 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 20:06:47 EST 2003

Hello,

While transferring some sequences via serialization, I noticed that all
my Features are getting lost. After some digging around, it seems as if
Java doesn't serialize the FeatureHolder inside the sequence (I was
working with SimpleSequence objects). Even though a
NotSerializableException is not thrown, the FeatureHolder is missing.
After making the FeatureHolder interface in Biojava extend Serializable,
the problem disappeared. How much will this change affect the rest of
the code - ie. is there a good reason why FeatureHolders are not
serializable?

Cheers,
Vasa