[Biojava-l] Need help in my code

erw wer belirxz at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 20:24:27 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am a beginner in biojava as well bioinformatics. I
hope you can advice on the obstacles I am facing now.

I am trying to follow your example about the profile
HMM at
http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/profileHMM.htm,
and I try to fill in those missing codes that are
required. And finally I got it running.

The code has no problem running until
BaumWelchTrainer.

But there is an exception when I try to score the
sequence and outputting the state path. I am not sure
if the way I code the test sequence initialization is
correct:
StatePath obs_rolls      = dp.generate(18);
SymbolList roll_sequence =
obs_rolls.symbolListForLabel(StatePath.SEQUENCE);
SymbolList[] sla         = {roll_sequence};
The exception says "Symbol d-1 not found in alphabet
Transitions from d-1", which is at dp.generate(18).

I appreciate if you can help me look into it. The
source code & the input file is attached for your ref.

And, what is dp.generate(int) means? If I have a
number of variable length sequences, should I take the
longest length of those sequences? or I am wrong
totally about what it means?

THANKS!!