[Biojava-l] Serialization of SequenceDB obtained from Swiss-Prot

Vasa Curcin vc100 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 12:46:59 EST 2003

Hi,

I am still investigating when exactly the problem with writing out the
object occurs, but this may be related. Here, I am returning matches
from a SwissProt search from the server to the client. The object is a
SequenceDB obtained from SwissProt and the entry has the following line:

FT   INIT_MET      0      0       BY SIMILARITY.

This is the exact exception:

17:32:29,654 ERROR [STDERR] got data from
http://us.expasy.org/cgi-bin/get-sprot
-raw.pl?143B_MOUSE
17:32:30,605 ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location
0 is ou
tside 1..245
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.impl.SimpleFeature.<init>(SimpleFeature.java:306)

        at
sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor85.newInstance(Unknown Source
)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC
onstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.SimpleFeatureRealizer$TemplateImpl.realize(Simple
FeatureRealizer.java:138)
rethrown as org.biojava.bio.BioException: Couldn't realize feature
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.SimpleFeatureRealizer$TemplateImpl.realize(Simple
FeatureRealizer.java:144)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.SimpleFeatureRealizer.realizeFeature(SimpleFeatur
eRealizer.java:94)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.impl.SimpleSequence.realizeFeature(SimpleSequence
.java:198)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.impl.SimpleSequence.createFeature(SimpleSequence.
java:204)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.io.SequenceBuilderBase.makeSequence(SequenceBuild
erBase.java:168)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.io.SmartSequenceBuilder.makeSequence(SmartSequenc
eBuilder.java:87)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.io.SequenceBuilderFilter.makeSequence(SequenceBui
lderFilter.java:98)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.io.StreamReader.nextSequence(StreamReader.java:10
1)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.db.SwissprotSequenceDB.getSequence(SwissprotSeque
nceDB.java:93)

Is this 0, 0 location common in Swiss-Prot entries? It seems the
serialization is failing only on those entries which have this feature.

Regards,
Vasa