[Biojava-l] SequencePanel, TranslatedSequencePanel, SequencePoster

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 28 10:50:44 EDT 2003

Hi,

I don't know if this ever got resolved, but you can simulate a
SequencePoster by adding multiple SequencePanel or
TranslatedSequencePanel instances to a Panel - grid layout, 1 x Lines -
and add event handler code to scroll them all in sync with one another.
This is realy how the poster should have been implemented to start with.

Matthew

Mark Southern wrote:
> I am still interested in the SequencePoster! Unless I am missing something,
> the SequencePanel and TranslatedSequencePanel only render over one line. The
> ability to wrap the display to a number of lines is visually very appealing,
> especially when working with shorter sequences such as proteins (as I do).
> It's the kind of display that will always print very nicely and that goes a
> long way in getting a gui app accepted.
>
> As a building block it compares very well to what you can see from the
> Swissprot feature viewer, wirplot and the Protein Dossier from the Sting
> Millenium suite.
>
> I think it definitely has a place.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.
>

> The choice of drawing environment has cause considerable confusion for a
> long time and perhaps this is a good time to resolve it.
>
>>From looking back at the archives, it appears that Keith James mentioned
> some considerable time ago that SequencePanel was not worth fixing because
> of internal problems.
>
> It has also been mentioned on IRC that SequencePoster may be overly complex
> internally and perhaps not to be recommended further.
>
> Would switching to using TranslatedSequencePanel and deprecating the other
> two (for removal before 2.0)  be a good move?  Can we have opinions on that
> before the 1.3 final release please?
>
> Regards,
> David Huen

BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk