[Biojava-l] Anyon has ever search for CpG Islands with BioJava?

Stein Aerts stein.aerts at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Mar 28 10:29:33 EST 2003

Hi Sylvain,

This piece of code should do it. The nrCGRandom changes with the
windowlength though (I calculated this value from EPD a long time ago).
I use org.apache.oro.text.regex.*;

Bye,
Stein.

public void annotateCpG(Sequence seq) throws Exception{
        double nrCGRandom = 14.1048d;
        int windowLength = 200;
        int step=100;
        String motif = "cg";
        //
        PatternMatcher matcher=new Perl5Matcher();
        PatternCompiler compiler = new Perl5Compiler();
        Pattern pattern = null;
        PatternMatcherInput input;
        MatchResult result;
        pattern = compiler.compile(motif);
        int nrOfOcc=0;
        int nrConsec=0;
        double gcContent = 0d;
        double cgValue=0d;
        int index = 1;
        String dnaStr;
        SymbolList window= null;
        int i=1;
        while (index<seq.length()-windowLength){
          window = seq.subList(index,index+windowLength);
          dnaStr = window.seqString();
          input   = new PatternMatcherInput(dnaStr);
          while(matcher.contains(input, pattern)) {
              nrOfOcc++;
          }
          gcContent = GCContent(window);
          cgValue = (nrCgRandom/nrOfOcc);
          if (cgValue<0.6d && gcContent>50.0d){
            nrConsec++;
          }
          else if (nrConsec>0){
            int start = (index-(nrConsec)*step);
            int stop = index;
            nrConsec=0;
            Feature.Template template = new Feature.Template();
            template.type = "misc_feature";
            template.location = new RangeLocation(start,stop);
            template.annotation = new SimpleAnnotation();
            template.annotation.setProperty("type","CpG Island");
            seq.createFeature(template);
          }
          nrOfOcc=0;
          index=index+step;
      }
  }

 public double GCContent(SymbolList seq){
    int gc = 0;
    for (int pos = 1; pos <= seq.length(); ++pos) {
        org.biojava.bio.symbol.Symbol sym = seq.symbolAt(pos);
        if (sym == org.biojava.bio.seq.DNATools.g() || sym ==
org.biojava.bio.seq.DNATools.c())
            ++gc;
    }
    double content = (gc*100)/seq.length();