[Biojava-l] SAX parser demo

David Huen david.huen at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 25 04:28:28 EDT 2003

Hi,
OK, I have uploaded a demo to CVS.  It is at biojava-live/demos/blastxml.
It's just a plain ripoff of Mark Schreiber's demo in Biojava In Anger
ported to use the BlastXML parser.  You will need to do a "cvs update -d"
to create the new directories for the demos and for the DTD directory.

I have added a facade to the BlastXML parsing framework.  The facade is
called BlastXMLParserFacade and is used identically to the way the existing
BlastLikeSAXParser is used with blast text output.  I think this will make
it easier for users all round: that both have the same interface.  You can
look in that class to see how the BJ parsing framework is actually set up.

I won't have more time available to work on this for a bit but bug reports
are welcome for eventual fixes.  As previously mentioned, running multiple
sequence queries on a database with NCBI blast results in the concatenation
of all the Blast XML outputs resulting in an almighty completely non-XML
compliant file (multiple <xml> and <DOCTYPE> elements for example).
Parsing those requires a hack I have previously described but it is ugly,
ugly, ugly.  Maybe the latest NCBI version might have fixed this problem
but I haven't looked.

Best wishes,
David Huen
P.S. It is really really bedtime, guys.....
P.P.S There is an ugly entity resolver hack I will need to clean up later
too.