[Biojava-l] Biojava in Artemis

Derek Gatherer d.gatherer at vir.gla.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 05:10:18 EDT 2003

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding codon bias measurements.

1) Is there a codon usage object in Biojava?
2) How easy would it be to integrate it into Artemis (to add things to the
Graph menu)?

I've seen references to
CrossProductAlphabet codonAlphabet = AlphabetManager

in the archive, so I think I can manage to generate a codon usage table,
and compute codon bias statistics from that, but I was wondering if
something more complete has already been written.

I have been using TreeMaps to make codon usage tables within Artemis
classes, but they seem to be very slow, eg:
Collator co = Collator.getInstance();
TreeMap codonUsageTable = new TreeMap(co);

and then accessing them using .put() and .get() TreeMap methods.  But the
performance is poor compared to the Artemis classes that just read single
chars, eg GCFrameAlgorithm.

Cheers
Derek

Derek Gatherer Ph.D. Cert.Ed.