[Biojava-l] GO web service

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 03:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

Neil - I was the project driver for biocorba for a while - we did do some
development on bioperl-corba client/server this spring at the Hackathon to
finish off the round-tripping.  As did Thomas and Brad for their
respective libraries at the event.

The current IDL is a merge with the BSANE/BioCORBA spec and it could
probably use 1 more round of refactoring after Thomas (Java), Ewan & Jason
(Perl), Brad Chapman (Python) did the initial client and server
implementations and found a few things difficult or inconsistent (esp wrt
to locations)

Basically though, I can't really spend any time driving the project any
further due to my committments to school, but that shouldn't prevent it
from living on as I actually came into the project quite a while after
many of the ideas had been laid down.  I'm quite happy for someone else to
be the driver for the project if they'd like to see it go further.  We do
have at least 90% working libraries in all the projects so I think it is
an excellent starting point if you wanted to leverage existing code.

-jason