[Biojava-l] equals() method for SymbolList

Lachlan Coin lc1@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:41:09 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I think this was raised a while back, but the equals() methods are not
overridden in SymbolList classes, hence to compare equality you must do:
sl1.toList().equals(sl2.toList()).

I was just wondering if it were possible to change this, so that two
SymbolLists are equal if they contain the same symbols in the same order.
It would make hashing against SymbolList more convenient.

Or is there a good way of getting around the problem of hashing against a
SymbolList ?  I guess one way is to put sl.toList() as the key, but then
when you pull out the keys later you can't convert back into SymbolList
easily.

Thanks,

Lachlan