[Biojava-l] two questions from new biojava user

Dave Barkan dbarkan@snowball.pcbi.upenn.edu
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hey all, new to Biojava and have two quick questions.

1)  I am attempting to use the transcribe() method of the RNATools class
and am having trouble; the program stops and outputs
"org.biojava.bio.symbol.TranslatedSymbolList" before it returns from the
method.   I examined the source code of the transcribe() method and
followed its call tree and don't actually see where the "transcription" is
taking place; the TranslatedSymbolList constructor just sets the object to
have the original (DNA) symbol list as its "source" instance variable.  I
was just wondering if I am not understanding everything or if the method
hasn't been fully implemented.

2) (this might help answer 1).  I am working with the biojava source with
the ant-build. I downloaded the version "biojava-20020823.tar.gz" and set
the classpath to the source folder (also to the xerces and bytecode jar
files).  I just wanted to make sure this is the correct version; it is a
bit suspicious as the tar file doesn't have a version tag, but it seems
to have a lot of methods that 'biojava-1.22.tar.gz" doesn't.  If I am
missing something obvious, my apologies as I am still new to some of the
"administrative" aspects of java.

Thanks, enjoying it so far!  Please cc me with any info you might have so
I don't wait until tomorrow to get the digest.

dave