[Biojava-l] Substitution matices

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Thu, 09 May 2002 13:24:55 +0100

Schreiber, Mark wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Does Biojava contain the concept of Substitution/ similarity matrices?
>
> If not should we put in an Interface (probably in the dp package)?
>
> Probably containing the method:
>
>   double substitute(Symbol a, Symbol b) throws IllegalSymbolException;
>
> Mark Schreiber
> Bioinformatics
> AgResearch Invermay
> PO Box 50034
> Mosgiel
> New Zealand
>
> PH:   +64 3 489 9175
> FAX:  +64 3 489 3739

Hi Mark,

Yes and no. There is no explicit substitution matrix interface as such.
However a Count or Distribution over (e.g.) proteinXprotein will have
the desired properties. It is then a matter of interpreting the
distribution to be a substitution matrix, or the count as being
observations of substitutions.

Is there something (other than syntactic sugar) that isn't covered by
this approach?

Matthew