[Biojava-l] Virus in biojava email

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:52:54 -0500

Hi folks,

The best way to directly contact the people who run the various
open-bio.org servers and systems is to email "root-l@bioperl.org" - that
is the mailing list that all the various admin types monitor.

Regarding the specific situation: people hitting the list with viral email.

You folks are the lucky ones :) I'm the one who gets 110+ autoresponder
replies from corporate virus scanners that find the virus and bounce
back nasty error messages to the admin address. Each viral email sent
out causes my inbox to be flooded with a few hundred "you've got virus
X" replies. ack.

My preferred approach is to investigate the possibility of finding some
sort of anti-virus scanner that will tightly integrate with our sendmail
daemon to scan inbound and outbound SMTP traffic. If anyone has any
suggestions to make regarding particular products or technologies
(commercial or open source) then please email me directly or send your
message to the root-l mailing list.

That said the people who participate on this list are the ones who
should get to collectively decide how it is run and operated. If the
biojava-l people can get together and decide that they want to turn off
the "anyone can post" feature than I'd be happy to do so.

I'd counter with the following proposal however:

biojava-l becomes a "members only" list with all external mails
quarantined by the listserver moderation software
_BUT_
several biojava-l members offer/volunteer to collectively join the
Mailteam so that non-spam, non-viral posts of interest can get moderator
approval in a timely fashion.

So we basically have 2 options:

(a) We investigate the possibility of anti-virus software at the SMTP
transport layer
(b) Biojava-l goes from an open list to a moderated list with volunteers
handling the non-member posts

Comments?

Sanyu - you can tell from this message that we are not going be able to
fix the problem today. Go ahead and unsubscribe.

Regards.
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Life Science IT & Research Computing Freelancer